“And what is so rare as a day in June? / Then, if ever, come perfect days,” wrote poet James Russell Lowell. Indeed, there’s nothing more welcome after a long winter than those perfect summer days. So how can older adults take advantage of the warm summer weather? Here are some fresh ideas for seniors looking for summer fun.
Why Go Outside?
We know by instinct that being outside in pleasant weather makes us feel good. Science supports this feeling. Research shows that being outside helps:
- Stimulate production of Vitamin D. When exposed to the sun, your skin manufactures Vitamin D, which is important for the health of your bones, blood cells and immune system.
- Boost serotonin levels. One of the happy hormones, serotonin can improve your levels of happiness, satisfaction and optimism.
- Improve sleep. Exposure to sunlight can help regulate the internal clock that sets your sleep/wake cycle.
- Enhance creative problem-solving. Being outside quiets your mind, allowing creative solutions to bubble to the surface.
How to Enjoy the Lazy, Hazy Days of Summer
A long winter can leave you with ingrained indoor habits – reading, watching TV, playing cards – perfect activities for the colder months. But let the chirping birds and warm breezes tempt you outside, and you’ll find an abundance of senior-friendly outdoor activities. You can:
- Garden. Grow flowers to help pollinators or vegetables to fill your plate. Whether or not you have a green thumb, gardening is a moderate aerobic activity that helps you maintain strength and flexibility.
- Go for a walk. A stroll around your community is a great way to get fresh air, see the sights, connect with neighbors … and support your cardiovascular health while you’re at it.
- Try bird-watching. You don’t have to be deep in the woods to enjoy the antics and beauty of local bird life. With a pair of binoculars and a field guide for bird identification, you have all you need to enjoy a summer day and the local fauna.
- Take up photography. Engage your creative side with an endeavor that encourages you to focus on beauty, document your experiences and enjoy the outdoors.
- Have a picnic. There’s something special about dining al fresco. Whether you spread a checked tablecloth over a picnic table or enjoy patio dining at a nearby restaurant, the pleasures of good food and lovely weather are a cheerful combination.
- Try yoga or tai chi in the park. You can enjoy the fresh air and get the health-boosting benefits of exercise. If you can’t find a local class, grab your yoga mat and a couple of friends, and start your own neighborhood fitness trend.
- Golf. This classic summer activity supports physical fitness and it’s a great way to engage in some friendly competition.
- Attend outdoor fairs. Local craft fairs, farmer’s markets, church bazaars, and county fairs offer festive opportunities to support local vendors, try new foods, play games and have fun.
Summer Fun at Wyndemere
Independent living at Wyndemere gives seniors the freedom to make the most of summer’s pleasant weather. Here, our maintenance-free lifestyle means you don’t have to spend your valuable time mowing your lawn or tending to your home’s upkeep. Instead, you can enjoy an abundance of outdoor activities for seniors:
- Walk or bike the paths that wind through our 22-acre grounds.
- Hone your golf game on our putting green.
- Dine at our bistro’s outdoor patio.
- Stay busy as a bee in one of our raised garden beds.
- Explore nearby Wheaton French Market and the DuPage County Fair.
- Enjoy the outdoors from the comfort of your own patio, balcony or deck.
Contact us today to learn more about independent living opportunities at Wyndemere.